Friday, May 13, 2011

1969 Pontiac GTO Convertible

This is my triple-black, '69 Pontiac GTO convertible, w/ air conditioning (PHS documented).  I bought the car in 2008 from a BMW dealer in Lexington SC. It was a pretty interesting find in that he had started restoring the car in the mid-80's. He disassembled the car in the shop of his dealership and that was as far as he got. It sat in that air conditioned climate for the next 25 years.

I always thought it would be cool to go back in time and order the perfect GTO by today's standards. So without messing up the original nature of the car, we rebuilt it with every option we would have wanted then, plus some of today's upgrades. The car was no slouch to begin with, coming with the correct YZ code 366hp, ram air III engine, Turbo 400 tranny, air conditioning, power steering, console, AM/FM, clock, and deluxe wheel disks. But, I wanted more...  power front disc brakes, concealed headlights, hood tach, exhaust extensions, custom sport steering wheel, 8-track stereo, and rally gauge cluster.  All original parts were kept of course.

So what about present day upgrades? I wanted to keep that '69 performance, but I hoped to do better than the 13-14 mpg I got with my other old Injuns. We swapped out the original turbo 400 trans with a 4 speed 2004R level 2, automatic. Now I can cruise down the road at 1200 rpm and get 22+ mpg. Also added were 15" American Racing Torque Thrust D wheels with Goodyear Eagle 235s on the front, and 255s on the rear. And let's not forget a solid state conversion to the AM/FM with ipod / XM ports, and upgraded speakers. We replaced the windshield with a 1970 in-glass antenna unit, thus getting rid of the external antenna. The car is sick, and brings lots of compliments.

I had the car shipped from South Carolina, in pieces. directly to the restorer's shop, without telling anyone I bought it. It took about 8 months to restore and reassemble, and caused some interesting comments when I finally brought it home.

The car is fun to drive, and I don't mind taking it out of town. But, the black color is a pain to keep looking good.  I'll have to admit, I've only put 300 miles on it, but it's hard to find hot sunny days in Laramie.



4 comments:

  1. I didn't know much about all of the upgrades that you put into this car. Must be due to the fact that the first time I even heard about the black GTO was when you pulled into the driveway and surprised all of us (mom included). Anymore secret project cars that we all should know about?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree with Gelsey...still don't know how I feel about Cameron knowing about this car before any of us! ;) So is this officially your "dream car?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, as far as foreign languages go, "car talk" is up there on my list of things I need to learn. As much as I didn't understand, I know that's a good-looking car! Oh and if someone had told me years ago that my dad would eventually become a better blogger than me, I wouldn't have believed them. You're on a roll Dad!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So I guess if facebook is out of the question we will settle for the blog. So when did you surprise the family with the car?

    ReplyDelete