Wednesday, June 8, 2011

1969 Pontiac GTO Convertible #2

I'm a pretty trusting guy, but must admit that I was burned a bit on this car. I know better, but I purchased this car sight-unseen from the original owner in Illinois. It was a good 20-footer as they say, but had significant rust issues, non-original transmission, and a cobbled-up carburetor. Here's what it looked like when I bought it with its unoriginal repaint in dark blue (summer 2007).


Actually the car has a great pedigree. It came from the factory loaded with 25 options (very unusual for a 60's muscle car). Luxury items included power windows, door locks , driver's seat, antenna, convertible top, remote mirror, console and tilt steering. It also has the desirable 8-track stereo, hood tach, console w/ turbo-hydromatic, hideaways, rally II's, power steering and brakes, and exhaust extensions. I was really attracted to the original color of Chrystal Turquoise. The original window sticker shows a whopping $4,655 price tag... expensive in those days.






The car is now in the capable hands of Chief Auto Restoration's owner Stan Thoene, for a body-off resto. Stan specializes in GTO restorations, and has worked on four of my cars (including my POCI Gold Award Judge). He does great work, and most GTO people know of his abilities. Here's a picture of Stan, and his top-hand Jose, with what's left of my car (6/6/11). Stan is also in the process of restoring his own '69 Goat convertible. We both agree that a 69 GTO is the best looking of all the Goats.


When done it should look something like this identically colored car. Isn't that a great color combination? I'll keep you posted on the progress.

6 comments:

  1. Shew. Looks like the car needs a lot of work from where it is now, but Stan is the man! I am excited to see it in different stages!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats a lot of factory loaded options, but Is 'drivers seat' really a luxury item (or was that a typo)? Wendy is right, Stan IS the man and I'm sure he'll have the car looking like it just drove off the showroom floor when you pick it up. We should just call him 'Stan the man" from here on out. And I can't wait to see the new color (or should I say old, as it is the original color)... it will really make the car stand out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gels, I think Dad meant that it was a POWER driver's seat. That is pretty luxury. Neither of our cars have power seats! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that is one disassembled car! Exciting though to be able to picture the end product. I'm glad you've been able to find some very capable hands to help with the restoration. Stan IS the man!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like she's going to be beautiful when done. Agree the '69 was the most attractive but I like them all. Add the wood wheel and hideaways to that long list of options you lucky man. :)

    ReplyDelete