Sunday, August 28, 2011

Lost In Translation

For those of you having lived overseas... you know that occasionally your interpretation of something may not be the same as that of the natives. General Motors discovered this when they attempted to market the Chevy "Nova" south of the border. Of course we all recognize a "nova" as simply a cataclysmic nuclear explosion caused by the accretion of hydrogen on to the surface of a white dwarf star. What a GREAT name for a car!!! Legend has it, in Spanish, the phrase "no va" means "doesn't go". Hmmm! I'm not sure I'd buy a "Chevy Doesn't Go" (even though that may be an accurate assessment of GM products including their stock).

So, with this in mind, let's see how you'd interpret the following:

Let's start with the basic human need to eat.

We found this restaurant (Restoran) in Melaka Malaysia. I think my Mom must have named this place, as I recall her admonishing me to do the same as a teenager. Possibly the name refers to their squid specialty.

We found this restoran in our home town of Kluang Malaysia. As the name may indicate, it has a great buffet.
Are you looking for 5-star dining? Check out the competion next door.


Let's not forget desert. One of my favorites were these Pineapple cookies. Hmmm, Very good! As you can see they are manufactured by the conglomerate food company Soon Fatt. Look out Keebler Elves.


My daughter Lindsey thinks all good meals should be balanced with fruit and veggies. So here she is demonstrating the "King of Fruit"... Durian.


So why would this hotel in Pattaya Thailand ban it? Maybe it's because the fruit makes you "hot", but more likely it's because it smells like a dead cow that spent the past 10 days in a septic tank. Hmmm! Our girls couldn't get it past their noses in an effort to put it in their mouths.



Moving on... how about clothing?

Everyone knows how great the Asians are at high profile knockoffs. Yeah, I got my Calvin Klein, Gucci and Rolex over there. BUT!!! Who knew you could get knockoff J.C.Benney (Jacque Ben-Nay)?


And you thought Paris was the world's fashion center. Did you overlook Parit Raja Malaysia, where you can get a key made while you shop at Guan Leong's Fashion House? Don't forget your Harley for the drive up window.



Let's not forget transportation.

Need a beast of a truck?... something that can't be stopped, and has a nasty reputation to match? Dodge has it's "Ram", Chevy has the "Avalanche", and Nissan the "Titan". Think those are "Bad" trucks? Malaysia has all of these beat with their "Mitsubishi Guts".


Here's one of Kluang's local car dealerships. Mr. Tan, maybe you should consider dropping your middle initial (A) from the company name. By the way, they say he'll give you a hell of a deal!



Public Safety:

No interpretation needed here on Tioman Island Malaysia. Notice I'm not topless... I've got a cap on. My buddy Larry N on the other hand.....



You may have this one figured out, but if not I'll tell you what it says from my extensive multi-lingual capabilities... "No Trespassing, or we'll shoot you in the back as you flee". I think we should try this sign on our own US borders.

3 comments:

  1. Ba ha ha ha ha ha! I love all these pictures...those Malaysians came up with some funny names to call their businesses. :) Some how I don't think the "Soon Fatt" brand would be too successful over here in the US. And if I remember correctly (which we all know, I don't have the best memory of the little details) I think Lindsey and Gelsey tried the durian. I, on the other hand, am pretty sure I hid in the other room like the only sane person in the house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, this post is so funny. I totally remember some of these signs (Restoran Soo Fatt, S A Tan Auto, etc.) and others not so much. Oh the things we saw/experienced over there.

    And like Wendy said, I DID try the durian. Maybe it was only one bite, but give a girl some credit! I remember sweating profusely for an hour or two afterwards. I was told that you just had to try durian 5 times and then you'd love it... I'm not sure how anybody makes it past that first bite...

    I found the Chevy Nova to live up to it's "no go" name. Perhaps some of these businesses are just being honest and calling it as it is?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, tasted the durian. It was an experience never to be forgotten. You want to see something funny? Watch Bizarre Foods where Andrew Zimmerman tries durian. He can't take it! And he has eaten some pretty nasty stuff. Here's the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o_1qillkJs&feature=related (start at 2:30).

    Love the pictures! They bring back many memories. So fun!

    ReplyDelete