Monday, April 25, 2011

1969 Pontiac Trans Am

Here is another of my cars...

This is my '69 Pontiac Trans Am. I bought the car in 1991 from a fellow in Golden Colorado. He was selling it so he could purchase a new Corvette (sucks to be him). I paid for it with the money I received from selling my 1967 Corvette roadster. This speedy little car was originally delivered to Seifert Pontiac in Denver Colorado, and was ordered by a racing group there. I am the third owner. When I got the car it was in very original condition, with 79000 miles on the clock, and original paint. There was a little body damage to the driver-side fender and air extractor, but everything else was pretty nice. We performed a body-off restoration in 2008-2009.

This is the first of the iconic Pontiac Trans Am models made, and most people don't know they ever existed. Pontiac made 697 of them, with only 8 convertibles. Mine is listed on the national 1969 Trans Am Registry, with less than one-hundred others known to still exist.

This TA is fully PHS (Pontiac Historical Services) documented, and I can't wait to enter it into a national show to get a rating. The car now has 81,000 original miles. It was a race-ready optioned car with a TA standard package 400 c.i. ram-air III engine (335 hp officially, much more in actuality), Hurst 4-speed, 3.55 posi-traction, rally gauges, power steering and brakes, AM radio, and custom oak shifter knob. The car is numbers matching with one little quirk... the transmission number is one-off (factory assembly shuffle). It is shown with rally II wheels, but actually came with steel wheels and poverty caps, which I still have. Original spare is in the trunk.
Do you like the color and the stripes?... It was the only way they come. The car is fun, but scary fast. It's another garage queen as I don't want anything to happen to it either.

Contact me at dpolson@bresnan.net for more information (pics and docs).



3 comments:

  1. I would be interested to see how this did in a national show as well...not too many people know/appreciate the rarity of this car. I guess you better like the color and stripes since it is the only way they came...I personally think it is awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's a beaut!

    Your '69 Trans Am has less miles than my '04 CRV! Guess it's time for me to get a new car.

    That is funny that somebody sold the Trans Am to get a Corvette, and you sold the Corvette to the the Trans Am! I bet that guy is still kicking himself. You made the right decision, although I bet you wish you had been able to hold onto the Corvette a bit longer as well (I'm sure it is worth a lot more now than what you sold it for!).

    I would love to see how this car does in a national show, and what rating it gets (can't be anything less than perfect, can it?). I didn't know you were only the third owner!? That's pretty cool! Learn something new every day...

    The Trans Am IS scary fast. I have seen you peel out in it more than once...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a fun and good-looking vehicle!!!! You've taken good care of her.

    ReplyDelete