Saturday, July 9, 2011

Gems From The Past

I'm making more progress in entering the 21st century...

As a family in the latter part of the 90's, we spent quite a bit of time in Southeast Asia. Our home base was in Malaysia (Kluang), while I worked for Purdue University at "Institute Teknologi Tun Hussein Onn" (ITTHO - Batu Pahat, Johor). We took lots of pictures while there... In fact, approximately 500 prints and over a thousand slides. The slides were primarily taken for my professional presentations, and didn't focus on the fun (and misery) we were having. However, I knew there were some gems amongst the slides that the girls likely hadn't seen.

So... going back to my initial statement, I decided it was time to scan those old slides, so the girls could have their own copies. I'm just getting started, but I thought I'd show some that I've found thus far. I'm excited to go through them all, but here's a sample:


Lindsey in Kuala Lumpur. Note the Petronas Towers and the KL Tower in the distance.

























The crew in Singapore, visiting Sentosa Island.

















I hired the girls out for child labor in Chiang Mai Thailand. Here they are coming back from a hards day work in the rice fields.

























Wendy's birthday at the Golden Triangle. The Mekong River separates Thailand, Laos and Myanmar at this point. Wendy still acuses me of ruining her birthday that day... (family secret).

























Gelsey trying to pick up a guy in Chiang Mai Thailand.

















Wendy makes a friend in Bali Indonesia.

























Gelsey takes a break on the Great Wall outside of Beijing. It's a tough hike.


















Tiananmen Square when it was scarey to be there. It looks like Chairman Mao and I went to the same barber.

























November on Sydney Harbor Australia.



















The girls get real western food at "Hard Rock - Singapore". That's REAL catsup on the table. No fish head soup at the Hard Rock. We also hit the "Hard Rock Cafe" in Kuala Lumpur, Bangkok, Bali, Sydney, Melbourne, Beijing and Tokyo. And... we have the shirts to prove it.

















Lindsey entertains her Wyoming friend Nicole at Singapore Raffles.

























Leslie dines with some of my students. Yum.... Satay!



















The girls in Tokyo for a few days before returning home to Laramie. Notice, it is December and they're having to wear coats for the first time in a year. Selamat Tinggal to shorts and sandals.

























Wendy trying to keep her bread crums from the birds in Yokahama.






















Stay tuned...

3 comments:

  1. Man I sure hope I wasn't trying to pick up that monk boy... not only because he's a monk and looks about 10 years younger than me, but look at my face... and my hair! Yikes! NOT good picking up material to work with. Ha! How did the rest of you manage to look so cute over there? Can't say any of the pictures of me are terribly flattering... good memories, though! I love all of us in our giant coats in Japan, and that picture of Wend with the birds is great! I think that the "ruining Wendy's birthday" story would make for a pretty interesting post, but we can keep it a family secret if you prefer. :) Can't wait to see what other "gems" you dig up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a wonderful trip. I know Chaing Mai.

    You have a beautiful family.

    Michael
    in Hanoi

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so fun to see! Thanks for the comment, Michael. Wow, these pictures bring back memories. One of my favorite years! On a somewhat vain note, how on earth did my pasty skin get that dark? One of the mysteries of life. . . .

    ReplyDelete