Thursday, January 3, 2013

1969 GTO Convertible Finally Done

After 27 months.... it's finally done, and I'm pleased with the results.

 
This was a car worthy of a body-off restoration, with its unusual color (Crystal Turquoise Metallic - Code 55/K) and general rarity. They only made 7436 GTO convertibles in 1969, and this one came from the factory loaded with 23 options. Luxury muscle is somewhat uncommon.
 
 
The options included a Turbo-Hydro transmission, power steering, power brakes, power top, power windows, power door locks, power antenna, custom-sport steering wheel with tilt, remote mirrors, rally gauge cluster, console, radio with 8-track stereo, rear speakers, visor mirrors, Rally II wheels, covered headlights, hood tach, and more. One unusual option, chrome exhaust extensions, were officially unavailable on automatic cars, but this came with them according to the PHS build sheet. Gardner Exhaust Systems out of Red Hook NY has done literally thousands of exhaust systems for national award winning cars, and they've only seen one other like this. Thats Steppenwolf in the 8-track... OH YEAH!

 
The Goat is mostly numbers matching, with only the transmission being replaced (1970 GTO coded replacement). Hoses, belts, and spark plug wires are all date code correct.

 
This car was really brought back from the dead, after spending it's early years in Illinois. Best part is that it runs strong, smooth and is really tight. I wish my black GTO convertible was as nice. I'll have to work on that.

 
Check it out...  his and hers GTO convertibles. I need a bigger garage.


2 comments:

  1. You mean "his and his"? :) Either way, she sure is pretty! I can't wait to see Crystal (and maybe drive her?) in person!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to ask about your 69 GTO, My dad bought one new when he returned from Vietnam. He bought it in PA and He moved to Wyoming in the 80's and sold it. I am now trying to track it down. I have the VIN from his. I am very curious if this could be his car. I know the odds are slim but its worth asking.

    ReplyDelete